Our Church teaches that marriage is “an intimate partnership of life and love.” (Gaudium et Spes) Thus, marriage requires of both husband and wife a complete and unreserved giving of self. It requires couples to be emotionally and physically available to each other in the ordinary, messy events of each day, in times of joy and conflict, of sickness and health, until death. Marriage challenges couples to focus not only on their own love for each other (individualistic), but to let that love overflow to all others (communal). True love generates love in all areas of life. Just as automobiles need tune-ups, so, too, do marriages. The archdiocese provides the following support and moments of celebration for couples.
Wedding Anniversary Celebrations
Each year the archdiocese offers two Masses of thanksgiving for couples celebrating significant marriage anniversaries during the current year. Family and friends are encouraged to attend these celebrations.
For couples celebrating 5, 10. 15, 20, 25 years of marriage in 2017:
Saturday, February 16, 2019 4:00 p.m. at St. Raphael, 2900 Bardstown Road, Louisville
Register through your parish office.
For couples celebrating 30, 40, 50, 60 and 60+ years of marriage in 2017:
Sunday, October 21, 2018 2:00 p.m. at the Cathedral of the Assumption, 433 South Fifth Street, Louisville
Register through your parish office.
Marriage Encounter Weekend
For couples who desire a richer, fuller life together
This weekend is designed to give married couples the opportunity to learn a technique of loving communication that can be used for the rest of their lives. It is a unique approach aimed at revitalizing Christian marriage. For a brochure, including a registration form, contact Family Ministries, 502-636-0296 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the Marriage Encounter website at http://www.wwme.org.
Marriage Encounter Weekends
To register for a Kentucky or Indianapolis weekend, contact:
Mark & Jill Levine
Or register online at http://www.wwme.org/find-a-weekend.html
Retrouvaille – for couples in struggling marriages
Couples of all ages, lifestyles and ethnic backgrounds come to this weekend. Some have already separated or divorced, but want to try again. Many are struggling to stay together. Common among all the couples is a sincere desire to build a stable, loving marriage. This program offers the tools for this to happen.
The weekend experience is combined with a series of six post-weekend sessions over three months. The main emphasis of the program is on communication between husband and wife as they examine their lives together in a new and positive way.
Louisville Weekend Dates
For information about a weekend or Retrouvaille locally, call 502/479-3329 and someone will return your call or email email@example.com.
For general information and weekends across the nation, visit the Retrouvaille web site.
Teams of Our Lady
An international movement of married couples whose purposes are:
- growth in the spiritual life of the couple and family through a program of prayer and study
- growth in communication between husband and wife with a developing intimacy through shared prayer and regular in-depth talks
- a way of life designed to make their Christian faith a daily living experience
For a local contact, call Family Ministries, 502-636-0296.
For information on the national level, visit www.teamsofourlady.org.
More from USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops):
- Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan – the U.S. Bishops’ pastoral on marriage
- Subcommittee for the Promotion and Defense of Marriage – This Ad Hoc Committee assists the bishops and state Catholic conferences in promoting and defending the authentic teaching of the Church regarding the nature of marriage as a covenant between one man and one woman directed to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of children.
- Family Matters: Marriage and family enrichment from Susan Vogt, a family ministry leader, author and speaker.
- National Association for Catholic Family Life Ministers
- Smart Marriages – sponsored by the Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education