Holy Spirit Jamestown

//Holy Spirit Jamestown
Holy Spirit Jamestown 2017-10-13T15:51:45+00:00

Holy Spirit Jamestown

Jamestown, Russell Co.
Established 1953
Registrations: 81

Address

Holy Spirit Church
(Please note: parish mailing address is different from its location.)
Location: 406 N. Main Street
Jamestown KY 42629

Parish Information

Mail To: P.O. Box 190, Columbia, KY 42728-0190
Phone: (270) 343-3346
Email: frbrownskm@gmail.com

Holy Spirit Parish Jamestown

Clergy

Pastor: Rev. Nicholas J. Brown

Pastoral Staff

Business Manager/Bookkeeper: Linda Fitzpatrick

Mass Schedule (Central Time)

Sundays — Sat evening: 6:30 p.m. (Memorial Day–Labor Day only); Sun: 11 a.m.
Holy Days — 12 noon
Daily — Tue, Thu: 8 a.m.

Reconciliation (Central Time)

First Tuesdays — 6:30-7:30 p.m.

History

Russell County’s Catholics began to celebrate Mass at the Cumberland Lodge restaurant in 1951. Although there were few Catholic residents, priests would visit from St. Mildred Parish in Somerset to serve the influx of tourists and vacationers resulting from the completion of Wolf Creek Dam and Lake Cumberland.

Holy Spirit Parish was founded in 1953 when the current property, including a small church building, was purchased from the Nazarene Church. The church was completed in 1968 with financial support from Louisville’s Holy Spirit Parish. Priests continued to commute from Somerset until 1972.

When the counties making up the Southern Kentucky Missions of the Archdiocese of Louisville were realigned in 1975, Holy Spirit in Jamestown was paired with Good Shepherd in Columbia, Adair County, with Father Thomas Clark serving as first resident pastor. The priests were assigned to reside in Jamestown while ministering to both parishes. Since then, resident priests and sisters, including Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Ursuline Sisters of Louisville, Ursuline Sisters of Mount St. Joseph, and Dominicans of Springfield, Illinois, have had a significant ecumenical influence by their presence.

Holy Spirit operates a Community Thrift Store from a building on parish property completed in 1985. The store serves needy neighbors and demonstrates the Church’s social concerns. The parish continues to serve Lake Cumberland visitors and a growing population of retired couples. Holy Spirit Parish numbers over 150 parishioners and provides a vibrant Catholic presence to the people of Russell County.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email