Glasgow, Barren Co.
103 W. Brown St., Glasgow, Ky. 42141-2101
Phone: (270) 651-5263
FAX: (270) 651-1373
Pastor: Rev. Joel C. Rogers, C.P.M.
Associates: Rev. Kenneth Soroko, C.P.M, Rev. Ricardo Pineda, C.P.M.
Permanent Deacons: Lee G. Bidwell, David U. Smith
Sundays — Sat evening: 5 p.m.; Sun: 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 5:30 p.m. (Spanish)
Holy Days — Vigil: 7 p.m.; Holy Day: 8 a.m.
Daily — Mon, Wed: 12:05 p.m.; Tue, Thu, Fri: 8 a.m.; First Friday: 5:15 p.m.; Sat: 8 a.m. (Latin Mass)
20 minutes before all week-day and weekend Masses
Saturdays — Noon–1 p.m. and 4–5 p.m.
First Sunday — 4 p.m.
Mondays and Wednesdays — 12:40 p.m.
Fridays — 3–9 p.m. (Except on First Fridays when it is held from 7 a.m.–9 p.m.)
Saturdays — 9 a.m.
Four women, converts to Catholicism, spearheaded the interest in a church for Glasgow in 1893. From 1878 priests had been visiting the Glasgow mission station monthly to say Mass in private homes, and one resided briefly. These four women and others gathered stones from local fields and brought them by horse and cart to the small town. The community, Catholics and non-Catholics alike, together constructed St. Helen Church with the fieldstones. One generous donor, the Duke of Norfolk, is remembered by a stained-glass window which bears his name.
After years as a mission of Bowling Green in Russellville, and then of the Cathedral, Glasgow welcomed Father Joseph L. Wheatley’s move to the town in 1947. He bought a house to serve as a rectory in 1950, and near Horse Cave, Kentucky, he built Our Lady of the Caves Mission Church, which was blessed in 1954. The Fathers of Mercy came to Glasgow in 1959 and continue to serve. With resident pastors, St. Helen became a parish.
The parish has grown gradually to over 1,000 parishioners, but the Catholic population in Glasgow is still less than one percent. One of the Sunday Masses is celebrated in Spanish. A catechetical program, adult Bible study and religious education nourish the faith among parishioners. The parish center, built in 1990, houses these programs.
St. Helen continues to spread the faith in Glasgow through pro-life activities, visiting the sick and the food pantry program. The Knights of Columbus aid the community through the Tootsie Roll drive and Christmas food baskets for the poor. The Auxiliary of Our Lady provides Christmas gifts to needy children. The parish family is strengthened through daily Mass and regular Confessions, as well as devotions such as Eucharistic Adoration.