September 6, 2013 (Louisville, Ky.) The United Nations Pilgrim Virgin Statue of Our Lady of Fatima will be honored at a Mass celebrated by Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz on Friday, September 13, 8:15 a.m. at John Paul II Academy’s host parish, St. Pius X (3521 Goldsmith Lane).
This wooden statue was hand-carved in first half of the 20th century. Prior to its first pilgrimage on May 13, 1947, Pope Pius XII blessed this statue, and in 1952, the Bishop of Fatima blessed the statue for a mission to the United Nations. Since that time, the statue has traveled around the globe. The statue was made to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the appearance of the Blessed Mother to three children near the village of Fatima, Portugal on May 13, 1917. Numerous miracles have occurred in connection with Fatima and the statue, and there have been many reports of healings and other prayers being answered.
This statue is one of several pilgrim statues that travel the world, and as a pilgrim statue, this ministry promotes Our Lady’s intercession through prayer. This statue is sponsored by the Rhode Island Division of the World Apostolate of Fatima. According to Father Robert Bailey, Spiritual Director, “the United Nations International Pilgrim Statue of Fatima has been an Ambassador of Peace. This is especially true in our times of war and terrorism. However, we have also been focusing on the role of the International Statue in serving as an ‘Ambassador of Vocations’ inspiring prayer and need to encourage and support vocations within the Universal Church.”
This statue also will visit St. Bartholomew Parish (2042 Buechel Bank Road) on September 10, 14, and 15 (after 11:00 a.m.) and St. Ignatius Parish (1816 Rangeland Road) on the morning of September 15.
The Mass on September 13 will be concelebrated with Rev. Peter Do, pastor of St. Bartholomew and St. Ignatius Martyr Parishes and Rev. William Burks, pastor of St. Pius X Parish. The liturgy is open to the public.