9,500 hundred children are in foster care in our state. Sadly, that is up from 8,000 less than two year ago. Much of that increase is due to the opioid epidemic that is skyrocketing. Obviously, we need more foster parents, but there are many other ways to get involved such as being a mentor or just volunteering to spend time with one of these children.
The Foster Care Awareness event will feature talks with:
- Representative from the state Cabinet for Health and Family Services
- Darren Washausen, Executive Director, Orphan Care Alliance, whose mission is to equip Christians and connect them to opportunities to serve children in Foster Care.
- Touching stories from Foster Parents.
- Ed Harpring, Pro-Life Coordinator for the Archdiocese of Louisville, will discuss other ways to volunteer, mentor, and creative ideas for helping foster-care children.
- Light refreshments will be served.