Reporting Child Abuse2018-03-28T09:21:33+00:00
When you have reason to believe that a child is being abused, neglected,or is dependent, call the child protection hotline at 1-877-KYSAFE1 (1-877-597-2331), your Protection and Permanency Department (see numbers for each county below), the Regional Centralized Intake Line (see below), or your local police.

If you are uncertain about whether you are dealing with abuse, it is recommended that you call and talk over what has come to your attention. You will be helped to sort out the information, such as whether a specific incident must be reported and to whom. The important principle is that all suspected abuse must be reported.

If you feel the child is in imminent danger and is in need of immediate protection, call your local police department. For example, a very young child or handicapped child who is left alone with no adult supervision needs immediate help. Police officers can remove a minor from a threatening environment in order to protect the child if the child is in imminent danger of death or serious physical injury or is being sexually abused and the custodian is unable/unwilling to protect the child (KRS 620.040(4)(c).

Who Must Report
The law states that it is the duty of anyone who has reasonable cause to believe that a child is dependent, abused or neglected to report this information.

KRS 620.030 states:

  1. Any person who knows or has reasonable cause to believe that a child is dependent, neglected or abused shall immediately cause an oral or written report to be made to a local law enforcement agency or the Kentucky State Police; the cabinet or its representative; the commonwealth’s attorney or the county by telephone or otherwise.
  2. Any person, including, but not limited to a physician, osteopathic physician, nurse, teacher, school personnel, social worker, coroner, medical examiner, child-care personnel, resident, intern, chiropractor, dentist, optometrist, emergency medical technician, paramedic, health professional, mental health professional, peace officer or any organization or agency for any of the above, who knows or has reasonable cause to believe that a child is dependent, neglected or abused, regardless or whether the person believed to have caused the dependency, neglect or abuse is a parent, guardian, person exercising custodial control or supervision or another person who has attended such child as a part of his professional duties.

KRS 620.030 also states:
Any supervisor who receives a report from an employee shall promptly make a report to the proper authorities for investigation.

What the Department for Community-Based Services Needs to Know
When you call, the department will need information that will identify the child, evaluate the problem, and allow them to respond quickly and appropriately. You will need to report what happened to the child and when; how you view this situation, what first-hand knowledge you have, and where the child can be located. You need to report if you feel that there is imminent danger to the child. You also need to provide the names and addresses of the parents and/or caretakers.

The essential information you will need in making a report:

  • The child’s identity
  • Any person believed to be responsible for the abuse or neglect to the child if the person is known
  • The nature and extent of the abuse or neglect
  • The name and address of the reporter, if he or she chooses
  • Where the child can be found

The name of the person making a report is confidential except to law enforcement or state officials who are investigating the case or unless the court has reason to believe that an informant knowingly made a false report. In addition, anyone making a good faith report is immune from criminal or civil liability.

The following is a list of agencies that take child abuse reports in each county of the Archdiocese. The Protection and Permanency Agency is part of the Community-Based Services Department of the Cabinet for Families and Children.

Please note that the statewide child abuse hotline is 1-877-597-2331. Individuals who need to report child abuse can also call their local police.

Child Abuse Reporting Contacts

County Phone #’s Agency Name
Adair (606) 330-2192 Regional Centralized Intake
Barren (270) 651-8396 Protection and Permanency
Bullitt (502) 955-6591 Protection and Permanency
Casey (606) 787-8369 Protection and Permanency
Clinton (606) 330-2192 Regional Centralized Intake
Cumberland (270) 864-3834 Protection and Permanency
Green (270) 932-7485 Regional Centralized Intake
Hardin (270) 766-5099 Protection and Permanency
Hart (270) 524-7111 Protection and Permanency
Henry (502) 845-2922 Protection and Permanency
Jefferson (502) 595-4550 OR
(502) 574-2465
Protection and Permanency
Crimes Against Children
Larue (270) 358-4175 Protection and Permanency
Marion (888) 403-5090 Regional Centralized Intake
Meade (888) 403-5090 Regional Centralized Intake
Metcalfe (270) 651-0287 Regional Centralized Intake
Monroe (877) 597-2331 Toll Free
(888) 403-5090
Regional Centralized Intake
(888) 403-5090
Regional Centralized Intake
Russell (606) 330-2192 Regional Centralized Intake
(888) 403-5090
Regional Centralized Intake
(888) 403-5090
Regional Centralized Intake
Taylor (270) 465-3549 Protection and Permanency
Trimble  (888) 403-5090 Regional Centralized Intake
Washington  (888) 403-5090 Regional Centralized Intake
Print Friendly, PDF & Email