Degree Programs – Archdiocese of Louisville Ministry Institute
The Archdiocese of Louisville is sponsoring Loyola University New Orleans’ Loyola Institute of Ministry Extension Program (LIMEX). This program, certified by the state of Kentucky, offers a Catholic university graduate education with locally-based classes and ministry experiences. Focus areas are in pastoral life or religious education. The LIMEX program uses a practical process that engages students in a rhythm of action and theological reflection on their specific ministries. This unique adult learning experience offers students a spiritual formation process that also promotes the development of practical ministerial skills leading to professional competency. Students participate as part of an 8-15 member learning group led by a Loyola-certified facilitator. The 10 common curriculum courses are taken sequentially in the learning group. These ten 3-hour sessions incorporate a variety of reflection methods and learning approaches. Students also choose two additional courses in their focus areas that involve independent study and peer sharing. All courses are scheduled flexibly to meet the needs of adult learners and will be offered in locations throughout the Archdiocese. Programs offered include: Master of Religious Education, Master of Pastoral Studies, Certificate of Religious Education, and Certificate of Pastoral Studies.
For M.R.E. or M.P.S. candidates, persons must have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 2.5 grade point average. Candidates must submit:
- A completed application form.
- Two recommendation forms.
- A three-page statement of educational purpose.
- A resume of work, volunteer and/or ministry experience.
- Official transcripts of bachelor’s degree and any subsequent academic work.
Those applying for Continuing Education (CEU) Certification must have the ability to do graduate level reading and have extensive ministry experience, usually in diocesan, school, or parish leadership positions.
Common Curriculum Courses:
- Introduction to Pastoral Theology
- Jewish Roots of Christian Faith (Old Testament)
- Christian Origins (New Testament)
- Grace, Christ, and Spirit
- Church, Sacraments, and Ministry
- Spirituality, Morality, and Ethics
- Faith and Culture
- Faith Development and Spirituality
- Pastoral Leadership and Organization
- Pastoral and Educational Praxis
- Christian Spirituality for Ministers
- Hispanic Ministry
- Marketplace Ministry
- Pastoral Life & Administration
- Religion & Ecology
- Religious Education
- Small Christian Community Formation
- Youth Ministry
For More Information For More Information Butch Ekstrom, Associate Director of Faith Formation (502) 448-8581, ext. 1341/Email