Pastor: Rev. John A. Schwartzlose
Senior Associate: Rev. James T. Mudd
Permanent Deacon: T. Stephen Bowling
Sundays — Sat evening: 5 p.m.; Sun: 8 a.m., 10 a.m., 12 Noon
Holy Days — Holy Day: 8:15 a.m., 7 p.m.
Daily — Mon–Sat: 8:15 a.m.
Saturdays — 3:30–4:30 p.m.
Mondays — 9 a.m.–11 p.m.
As the number of Catholics in the Fern Creek area grew and General Electric opened in nearby Appliance Park, Archbishop John A. Floersh established St. Gabriel Parish in 1953. Late that year, the pastor was presented with $4,800, collected by residents of Fern Creek since 1909, to help construct St. Gabriel church and school. Father James G. Emrich was the first pastor.
In the beginning, Mass was celebrated in Fern Creek High School’s auditorium. On 8.5 acres, construction began on a combination church and school. A rectory was completed in 1954. Then, as now, the men and women of the parish donated their time and talent to hold down building costs.
Today, St. Gabriel has more than 2,100 families and one of the largest schools in the Archdiocese, with 777 students (preschool-8th grade) and a growing religious education program of nearly 160 students. In 1994 an ambitious building program was completed. It included a church, a multi-purpose building, and the renovation of the former church for school classrooms and parish staff offices. In August 2001, further renovations and additions were done to kitchen, cafeteria, library, computer rooms, classrooms, childcare area, parish offices and work areas.
Today lay involvement in the mission and ministry of this largest parish in the archdiocese is more important than ever. Parishioners give their time and talent to building up the local community, living St. Gabriel’s mission of praising God, proclaiming the Good News, serving others and building community.