Saint Barnabas

Louisville
Established 1953
Registrations: 731
total members: 1696

PARISH OFFICE
3042 Hikes Ln., Louisville, Ky. 40220-2017
Phone: (502) 459-4251
FAX: (502) 459-9815
E-mail: dhoard@stbarnabaslou.org
Web site: www.stbarnabaslou.org

MAP/DRIVING DIRECTIONS

CLERGY
Pastor: Rev. Paul A. Scaglione
Permanent Deacons: James R. Plummer, Jim Stanford

MASS SCHEDULE
Sundays — Sat vigil: 4:30 p.m.; Sun: 8:30 a.m., 11 a.m.
Holy Days — See bulletin
Daily — Mon–Fri: 8:30 a.m.

RECONCILIATION
Saturdays — 3–4 p.m.

EUCHARISTIC ADORATION
First Fridays — 9 a.m.–3 p.m.

JOHN PAUL II ACADEMY
3525 Goldsmith Lane, Louisville, Ky. 40220-2313
Phone: (502) 452-1712
FAX: (502) 451-2462
Principal: Lynn Wilt
E-mail: lwilt@john-paul-academy.org
Web site: www.jp2a.org

MAP/DRIVING DIRECTIONS

HISTORY
St. Barnabas, established in 1953 in Hikes Point, served Catholics migrating east from downtown Louisville. Appointed pastor by Archbishop John A. Floersh, Father J. Donald Gallagher moved into the first parish building, completed in 1954, which would later become a convent. The first parish Mass was celebrated in the chapel of that building in 1954; that same year the parish broke ground for a school, dedicated in 1955 and staffed by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. A new rectory also was completed in 1955, and Father Gallagher and Father John Hanrahan, the first associate pastor, moved in. St. Barnabas, the area’s mother church, generated three other parishes: St. Pius, St. Martha and Ascension.

For the growing enrollment, four classrooms were added to the school building in 1956; another four were added in 1959. By 1960 there were more than 1,000 students. When part of St. Barnabas became St. Martha in 1960, third graders were bused to the empty classrooms at St. Martha School. School began at “St. Barnabas Annex” (later Ascension School) in 1964. In 2006, St. Barnabas School joined with St. Pius School and St. Bartholomew School to form a regional school, called John Paul II Academy.

After a Lent of special prayers and a requested doubling of contributions by parishioners in 1960, Father Gallagher called forth a commitment to tithing that replaced school tuition and all fund-raising activities. Under Father Gallagher’s spiritual inspiration, the successful tithing experiment enabled the parish to set a budget sufficient for operating expenses, debt retirement, efficient school programs, funds for expanding parish facilities, and the financial obligations of the various parish organizations. Also, through this plan, parishioners developed a spirit of cooperation and of reliance on the providence of God.

Today with eighty-eight active ministries, the 1,700 parishioners of St. Barnabas are committed to sharing their gifts and are grateful for God’s blessings.