Pastor: Rev. Matthew T. Hardesty
Sundays — Sun: 8:30 a.m.
Holy Days — See bulletin or call the parish office.
Sundays — After 8:30 a.m. Mass
Saturdays — 3:00–3:45 p.m. (At Holy Trinity, Fredericktown)
Dominicans of St. Rose Priory established Holy Rosary Church at Blinco (now called Manton). The cornerstone was laid in 1844, and the church was blessed in 1848. Many Catholics lived in the small but flourishing community in Washington County, where Hardin’s Creek empties into the Beech Fork River. This area, too far from St. Rose in Springfield and Holy Cross in Holy Cross, required a church of its own.
Holy Rosary was at first a mission of St. Rose, with Dominican priests as the pastors. In 1866, it became a mission of Holy Cross Church, where diocesan priests, Fathers Patrick Fount and Edward Lynch, were serving. Since 1883 it has been a mission of Holy Trinity in Fredericktown, and Father William M. Buckman was its first pastor. It still serves this group of rural Catholics, some of whom are descendants of the original families, plus numerous others who have settled in and around this little valley.
The original church has been well maintained over the years. The parish bought the two-room Manton school building at auction in the late 1970s and modernized it as Manton Hall. Here social events like the fall chili supper and spring pancake breakfast take place, and many family reunions are held. The graveyard, just a few steps from the church, had its beginning in 1917 or 1918.
After more than a century and a half, Holy Rosary Church, with about 200 parishioners, still provides the foundation for this rural Catholic community: a quiet, simple, country place to worship.